Thursday, June 16, 2016

growth

10 minute free write (with a little post-time editing); prompt- growth; Feb 12, 2016;

When I was a child, I fell a lot. Everyone told me it was from growing so fast; I was the tallest person in my class and my knees and palms were perpetually torn to shreds. Eventually I stopped falling so much but I still walk into things because I misjudge either the size of the doorway or the width of my shoulders. I am forever underestimating my weight in the world, always bumbling around the space I take up.

I've been sad a lot since I was little, too. Maybe one day my brain will catch up to how my heart has grown, but for now, I misjudge the height of every fall and the softness of my own heart.

One day I'll stop underestimating my weight in the world, and stop apologising for the space I take up in it.

1 comment: